June, 2017

29jun01octNew From the Collections - Summer 2017 Exhibition(June 29) 12:00 am - (October 1) 11:59 pm

new-from-the-collections-2017-exhibition

Time

June 29 (Thursday) 12:00 am - October 1 (Sunday) 11:59 pm

Location

Irish Linen Centre Lisburn Museum

Market Square, Lisburn BT28 1AG

Event Details

New From the Collections – Summer 2017 Exhibition

Our new Summer 2017 exhibition New from the Collections brings together some recently acquired, or rarely seen, objects from the Irish Linen Centre & Lisburn Museum’s extensive collections.  The display, mounted in our ground floor gallery, features:

  • 1861-63 Cotton Famine, including an extremely rare pocket watch gifted to Captain Moses Nickerson (1812-71), of the Mary Edson, by the Lisburn Relief Committee  at a special lunch at the Belfast Harbour Office in July 1863.  He has captained the ship sent by local man, and New York Millionare, Alexander Turney Stewart (1803-76) to relieve the distress in Lisburn.
  • Art from the Lagan Valley, featuring: Joseph W Carey RUA (1859-1937); David Gould (1871-1952); Romeo Toogood RUA (1902-66);John Luke RUA (1906-75); Olive Henry RUA (1902-89); Marjorie Henry RUA (1900-74); Basil Blackshaw RUA (1932-2016); Cherith McKinstry (1928-2004); Carol Graham RUA (b.1951); Terence Philip Flanagan RUA (1929-2011); Neil Shawcross RUA (b.1940)
  • A recently donated portrait of William Todd Jones (1755-1818), the Ravernet-born MP for Lisburn, and parliamentary reformer.
  • A miniature of Francis Rawdon Hastings, 1st Marquess of Hastings KG PC (1754-1826)

About the Collections

Since its foundation in 1979, the Irish Linen Centre & Lisburn Museum has collected artefacts that are relevant to the lives and interests of the people of Lisburn and the wider Lagan Valley. Our role as a museum is to both safeguard this collection, and make them accessible.

 

Leave A Comment

Go to Top