In 1998 Lisburn Borough Council Mayor Peter O’Hagan unveiled a plaque on Castle Street, Lisburn, on the site of the former Huguenot Church in Lisburn.
The Huguenots were protestants, who fled France in the 17th-century after Louis XIV revoked the Edict of Nantes in 1685. A colony of Huguenots settled in Lisburn in 1698, where they established themselves as weavers and bleachers under the guidance of Louis Crommelin (d.1727). Soon, the colony established a church under the ministry of Rev. Charles De La Valade, who arrived in Lisburn in 1704. The church’s most well-known minister was the Rev Samuarez Dubourdieu (1717-182), who established an influential school on Bow Street. For more information on the blue plaque see here.
By 1830 the site was in use as courthouse.