In June, 1889, the foundation-stone of the Temperance Institute, Lisburn, was laid by Mrs John D. Barbour using this trowel.
The Temperance Institute is a Grade B Listed building designed by Young & Mackenzie. When it opened in 1890 the building contained a gymnasium, reading room, restaurant, public hall, ladies’ and committee rooms, and caretaker’s residence. It is now known as the Bridge Community Centre Building, and is operated by LCCC.
The land on which the building stands was given by Sir Richard Wallace.
Thr trowel is currently on display in our 40 years of collecting exhibition.