Search
Close this search box.

Back to school: Largymore, c. 1906

Largymore school, photo

Largymore New National School, Lisburn, c. 1906 (Margaret Hanthorne Collection, ILC&LM)

It’s back to school for most pupils this week. Here is a postcard of the students of Largymore New National School returning to the classroom. Do they look excited to start back, or are they not amused? The image was taken by the famed Lisburn photographer, John Lannigan.

The school at Largymore, Hillhall Road, Lisburn, was started in October 1842 when it was known as ‘Bolton’s School’ after its founder, Captain James Bolton (d. 1867). He was in the Royal Navy and on his retirement lived at Armagh before moving in with his uncle, James Hogg (1756-1847), in Lisburn. Around 1850, Bolton affiliated the school with the National Board of Education and thus it became a ‘national school’. By c. 1904, the building had fallen into considerable disrepair and the trustees (Rev. G. R. Bell, G. St. George, G. B. Wilkins, and T. J. English) decided to build a new schoolhouse. The building was completed in 1906 at a cost of £1,900 and formally opened in April by Harold Barbour, of the famous linen thread-spinning family. His brother, J. Milne Barbour, donated a ‘laboratory’ and equipment to the school. The teaching staff in 1906 were Mr. W. A. Mitchell (principal), Mr. W. R. Pinkerton, Miss M. Dornan, Miss Eva Odgers, Miss Mabel Cordner, and Miss Annie McLenahan. The schoolhouse stood for over 100 years until it was demolished c. 2006.

Scroll to Top