The life of Conn O’Neill (D.1619), who once owned land stretching from the Ards Peninsula to modern-day Lisburn, is told in a new book by local author Roy Greer. ‘Con O’Neill, Last Gaelic Lord of Upper Clannaboy’ was launched at a special evening event at the Irish Linen Centre & Lisburn Museum on November 2019. The publication was published with assistance from Lisburn & Castlereagh City Council.
At the launch Alderman James Tinsley, Chairman of the Council’s Leisure & Community Development Committee congratulated the author on: “a fantastic new book, richly illustrated and full of interesting details.” The Chairman added: “the Council was very pleased to support the publication. It is an important addition to our knowledge of Conn O’Neill, Castlereagh and the history of the wider Council area.”
About Conn O’Neill
Conn O’Neill resided at Castlereagh, the old ‘Grey Castle’ that now lies in ruins in the Castlereagh Hills. He was imprisoned in Carrickfergus Castle in the early 17th-century after a failed rebellion. Hugh Montgomery, laird of Braidstone in Scotland, helped him escape on condition that he signed over some of his lands. Until his early death in 1619, much of Conn’s lands, covering much of the modern Lisburn & Castlereagh City area, were sold off to private planters.
‘Con O’Neill, Last Gaelic Lord of Upper Clannaboy’ is published by White Row Press with support by Lisburn & Castlereagh City Council. Copies can be purchased from the Museum shop. For more information visit lisburnmuseum.com