SCIENCE PROGRAMME 2015
Bring your class to our popular FREE science programme at the Irish Linen Centre & Lisburn Museum!
This year’s theme is the ‘Science of Flight’.
Workshops are 1 hour 30 minutes and are suitable for P2 – P7
To book call reception on 028 9266 3377
What will your class learn?
• The history of flight, from 1903 to the present day!
• Flight in nature, including a close look at some preserved birds from our collection
• Early flying machines inspired by nature, including Leonardo DaVinci’s inventions.
• The forces needed for flight: gravity, lift, thrust and drag.
• The story of Harry Ferguson, the first Irishman to build and fly his own plane!
What the class will do
• Make predictions
• Complete challenges as individuals, in pairs and teams
• Conduct experiments and measure results
1. Building a paper monoplane
2. Making a gyrocopter (based on a sycamore seed)
3. Looking at different materials, and exploring which makes the best parachute
4. Making a super-hooper glider!
Workshops can be tailored to suit your pupil’s needs, for more information contact Gillian Topping our Assistant Education Officer on 028 9266 3377 firstname.lastname@example.org